NM Vote to Ban Coyote Hunting Contests could be today

AllPredatorCalls

SANTA FE - A bill that would outlaw coyote-killing contests could be voted on as soon as Friday by the New Mexico House of Representatives.
Rep. Nate Cote, D-Organ, streamlined the original version, and his revised bill cleared the Judiciary Committee 9-6 late Wednesday.
Republican Rep. Terry McMillan, a surgeon from Las Cruces, joined the committee's Democrats in voting to advance the bill to the full 70-member House.
Cote, himself a hunter, originally proposed to ban commercialized animal-killing contests where prizes were awarded to those with the most kills. This brought opposition from kennel clubs that hunt birds, so Cote edited the bill to focus only on coyote contests..... Read more at link

NM coyote hunting Vote could come today 02/22/13

So if this passes will PM still have its annual hunt & convention in NM or move, and take it's tourism dollars it pumps into the local economy, to a more Predator Hunter friendly state?

Uhmmmm... So why should a bird in the eco system be any less valuable than a coyote? Aside from the fact that someone at the Kennel Club has money.

I believe I would challenge the measure as being discriminatory on that basis. And, insist that a useless coyote has every bit as much right to be hunted as a bird.

I foresee this setting a precedence to ban fishing tournaments later. Fishing tournaments are not much different than coyote contests.

There has already been some discussion regarding the possiblity of, perhaps, moving the hunt. If passed, this law would NOT apply to the Predator Masters Hunt & Convention.

The PM Hunt & Convention is NOT a contest hunt, and; therefore, would NOT fall into this catagory. They tried that this year by getting the BLM & State involved by providing them with false information.

Once we actually met with the BLM Cheif in Las Cruces, it was determined that we could proceed, "business as usual" with our event in Las Cruces.

The drought that New Mexico has been going through for the past 3 years has most certainly made the hunting MUCH more difficult.

Without going into alot of detail, there has been discussion of, possibly moving the hunt for all of these reasons to a more "hunter friendly" State.

When considering such a move, we have to take a lot of things into consideration, and those things are being looked at and discussed earnestly.

Jeff Mock

Michael C. CallawayJim Lane, director of the New Mexico Game and Fish Department. Is a consummate AH. these contests are not about controlling population they are about killing for profit. Allowing private citizen to manager wild life at there whim in insane. One contest practice when hunting coyotes is to capture them tape the snouts closed tag their ear and turn them lose to be hunted down and killed. In Jim Lanes mind this is legitimate culling. In my mind it is criminal animal abuse. In most states if there is need to cull animals they do a study determiner what to do. then hire professional hunters oif a kill off is needed. Jim Lane has a department budget that precludes the use of privet citizens that are not knowledgeable in wild biology or management to do his job. if Lane is deferring the general public to do his job what are we paying him for. My question is how much dose Jim Lane get paid by the sponsors of these contests?

The guy who posted that is an idiot. I don't know a single state that hires professional hunters to kill off to lower the population. They put a bounty on them but ? I dont know if its legal to tape an animals mouth shut and release it tagged or not with its mouth still taped shut.

I've been around coyote hunting for a long while.. I've never heard or seen this:

Quote:One contest practice when hunting coyotes is to capture them tape the snouts closed tag their ear and turn them lose to be hunted down and killed.

Who dreams this crap up?

Originally Posted By: AllPredatorCallsI've been around coyote hunting for a long while.. I've never heard or seen this:

Quote:One contest practice when hunting coyotes is to capture them tape the snouts closed tag their ear and turn them lose to be hunted down and killed.

Who dreams this crap up?

When contests use jaw locks, some people who have no idea what they are taking about will let their imagination run wild.

How are these coyotes captured? trapped then let free? uh NO!

Jaw locks are placed after the kill.

Here in Vegas, the news reported once that coyotes were found bound and gagged..... as if they were somehow caught alive and teams forced a jaw lock in their mouth and eventually they suffocated. This could not be further from the truth.

Guys will continue to hunt coyotes, whats the big deal if there is a friendly wager involved. Whether I am in a contest or out on my own, I still try to call and shoot as many as i can.

The contest will continue..... although eventually they may be forced to be very cautious on where or who they are advertised, which is unfortunate because there will be contests that some guys will never hear about and contests may have small number of teams.

Originally Posted By: FursniperI foresee this setting a precedence to ban fishing tournaments later. Fishing tournaments are not much different than coyote contests.

There's a big difference. Fish are turned loose after weigh in. I'm sure I'll get some mixed feelings over this post but I'm gonna post it anyways. I want to start off by sayin I'm all for callin critters. I'm one of the biggest coyote callers in my area. However there are a bunch of guys that run dogs where I'm from. They take 30 dogs at a time and turn out 5-6 at a time. They keep rotating fresh dogs until they just run them down and let the dogs rip em to pieces. I don't agree with that one bit!!!! If you want to call em and shoot em then I'm all for it. That's fast and humane (usually). Even if you want to run them with dogs and shoot them would be fine but those guys don't even take guns. Nothing deserves to lay there gasping for air and choking to death on it's own blood after a pack of dogs has ripped it's throat out. Please don't take this post the wrong way guys... I don't want to see them stop the contest. That's not what I'm sayin in this post. I was just stating the fact that yote and fish tournaments are a lot different. I stand by my statement though sayin I don't agree with runnin em down with dogs and lettin them kill em.

Originally Posted By: mejeremybI stand by my statement though sayin I don't agree with runnin em down with dogs and lettin them kill em.

The only thing I'll say is were all in this together.

Some guys don't like coyotes trapped and snared. Some guys don't like coyotes shot in the butt, guts, legs or spine. Some guys don't like coyotes being run with dogs.

I don't like none of it and think you guys should just leave the poor coyotes alone. Hunt bunny and tree huggers instead.

A bullet will leave a coyote gasping for breath and choking to death, much worse sometimes.

5-6 fresh dogs on a yote is near 0% chance of a long drawn out death, with guns it's just a matter of when one gets away wounded(think missing lower jaw).

I support every single legal form of coyote hunting, I'd hunt them out of an ultalight if it was legal.

If they made running them with hounds illegal it's just one step closer to losing some other hunting right you enjoy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AllPredatorCallsI've been around coyote hunting for a long while.. I've never heard or seen this:

Who dreams this crap up?
There is actual a contest on Monster Muleys that some people are sponsoring that has done this. They have tagged four coyotes in the cache valley and they are worth a thousand dollars a piece and you have until Dec 2013 to try and kill them.

Originally Posted By: r15 reeperOriginally Posted By: AllPredatorCallsI've been around coyote hunting for a long while.. I've never heard or seen this:

Who dreams this crap up?
There is actual a contest on Monster Muleys that some people are sponsoring that has done this. They have tagged four coyotes in the cache valley and they are worth a thousand dollars a piece and you have until Dec 2013 to try and kill them.
Those coyotes were not released with their mouth taped shut if they are expected to be around until Dec 2013. This type of coyote contest is similar to some fishing contests. Tag a fish, release it, then a large sum of money is offered to catch it and turn it in. The purpose of these contests are for incentives to get more people to hunt and fish. I do not see anything wrong with them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FursniperI foresee this setting a precedence to ban fishing tournaments later. Fishing tournaments are not much different than coyote contests.

Fishing Tournaments are constantly under attack as well. Catch and release, or not. The biggest complaint there is that the fish are severely stressed in the livewell, bouncing over waves all day, and they die after release. At least one tournament I participated in, afforded weigh in on the water. Fish weren't actually weighed but rather measured, and weight calculated based on average weights for fish of that length taken in those waters, that time of year. To eliminate some of the speculation over some fish being heavier for a given length than others, you were allowed to weigh 10 fish per day, but only your 5 biggest fish counted toward your official weight. You were only allowed 3 fish in the livewell at any time. If a fish died, he automatically counted toward your weight, and you had to keep him in your livewell.

This did 2 things... one it did reduce stress to the fish, in turn reducing mortality rate, and 2 it put a lot of fish back in the water over a very large area of the lake, away from the prying eyes of those that complained, so that any apparent evidence of mortality was GREATLY diminished. Not to mention if you weren't keeping your fish alive, you didn't fish long.

Still there were the usual complaints of fish being impaled by hooks, and the pain they obviously felt, and fish being stressed, and gills damaged, and swallowing artificial baits, and, and, and... We were all instructed to ignore anyone antagonizing us, and given a phone number or two to call, since it's illegal for antis to harrass sportsmen in ND.

Originally Posted By: mejeremybThere's a big difference. Fish are turned loose after weigh in. I'm sure I'll get some mixed feelings over this post but I'm gonna post it anyways. I want to start off by sayin I'm all for callin critters. I'm one of the biggest coyote callers in my area. However there are a bunch of guys that run dogs where I'm from. They take 30 dogs at a time and turn out 5-6 at a time. They keep rotating fresh dogs until they just run them down and let the dogs rip em to pieces. I don't agree with that one bit!!!! If you want to call em and shoot em then I'm all for it. That's fast and humane (usually). Even if you want to run them with dogs and shoot them would be fine but those guys don't even take guns. Nothing deserves to lay there gasping for air and choking to death on it's own blood after a pack of dogs has ripped it's throat out. Please don't take this post the wrong way guys... I don't want to see them stop the contest. That's not what I'm sayin in this post. I was just stating the fact that yote and fish tournaments are a lot different. I stand by my statement though sayin I don't agree with runnin em down with dogs and lettin them kill em.

Not trying to condemn your position at all Jeremy, just affording food for thought... But how does that method of hunting differ from the actions of coyote and wolf packs taking game/livestock in the wild?? Everything they kill is literally ripped to pieces while alive, unless it's fortunate enough to have it's throat ripped out and choke on it's own blood.

Originally Posted By: FursniperOriginally Posted By: r15 reeperOriginally Posted By: AllPredatorCallsI've been around coyote hunting for a long while.. I've never heard or seen this:

Who dreams this crap up?
Those coyotes were not released with their mouth taped shut if they are expected to be around until Dec 2013. This type of coyote contest is similar to some fishing contests. Tag a fish, release it, then a large sum of money is offered to catch it and turn it in. The purpose of these contests are for incentives to get more people to hunt and fish. I do not see anything wrong with them.
I never said they left their mouth taped shut and released then. On monster Muleys it shows pics of the coyote with its mouth taped up and them tagging the ear. I am sure that is what the Anti are talking about. I personal have no problem with this kind of contest I am all for it maybe some hunters will get lucky enough to shoot one of the tagged coyotes and collect the 1,000 dollar prize.

A thought on Jeff's comment that the pm hunt would not be affected by this type of ban...

I'd ask, "why the he11 wouldn't this ban affect the pm hunt?"

I'm obviously not in charge of the pm hunt, but if I were, then I wouldn't host an event in a communist, cow-towing, anti-coyote killing state. I'd take my business elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: Rocky1
Fursniper said:
Not trying to condemn your position at all Jeremy, just affording food for thought... But how does that method of hunting differ from the actions of coyote and wolf packs taking game/livestock in the wild?? Everything they kill is literally ripped to pieces while alive, unless it's fortunate enough to have it's throat ripped out and choke on it's own blood.

I see your point but I think we as hunters should have more respect for our sport and have a resposibility to make quick ethical kills. We are less likely to have attention brought onto hunting from antis by going out and callin in and shootin a yote than if they were to see how they drive around in trucks drinking and cutting fences tryin to let the dogs chase them down and rip them apart. Groups of guys like that gives our sport a bad reputaion and we all know first hand right now what happens from polititions going off of reputations instead of facts. Ignorance is definitely NOT bliss!!!!

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorA thought on Jeff's comment that the pm hunt would not be affected by this type of ban...

I'm obviously not in charge of the pm hunt, but if I were, then I wouldn't host an event in a communist, cow-towing, anti-coyote killing state. I'd take my business elsewhere.

To be clear...

The folks in Las Cruces have been HUGELY supportive of our event for the past 4 years and have welcomed us with open arms. The hotel staff, the New Mexico Farm & Ranch Museum, New Mexico Fish & Game, the New Mexico BLM (after our meeting), and almost every single rancher and person I've ever spoken with there have been very happy to see us hosting our event there.

The agitators have just shown there teeth this year and the supporters FAR outweigh the non supporters.

Moving the hunt has been on the table for discussion BEFORE the proposed BAN even occurred.

I, personally, also wouldn't want to give the Anti's the satisfaction of thinking that they had any hand in Predator Masters leaving their State, but then again, those are my personal views on the issue.

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorA thought on Jeff's comment that the pm hunt would not be affected by this type of ban...

We are not a contest. It is a convention in the evenings at the Farm and Ranch Museum with some seminars, dinner, some talking/socializing and a chance to win some nice prizes. If someone wants to go out and hunt during the day, they do it by their own choice. We do not give any prizes for any coyotes and do not organize any kind of hunt on public ground.

I feel the same as Jeff. I am not going to let the antis run us out of there when everything we do is legal. If they dont like me hunting, they can leave. Everyone is Las Cruces has been nothing but nice to us.

Back